6 large eggs
500ml homemade soy bean milk
1/8 tsp salt
Adequate cooking oil for pan-frying
150g shrimp meat
100g shimeji mushroom (discard the bottom and separate by hand)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 ½ tbsp chopped young ginger
2 shallots (peeled and chopped)
2 red bird’s eye chillies (chopped)
1 stalk spring onion (chopped, separate the white & green part)
2 tbsp hot bean paste
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp water
- In a mixing bowl, add in eggs, homemade soy bean milk and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Strain the egg mixture into a pre-lined 7-inch square tray with cling wrap.
- Steam at preheated steamer at high heat until set. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the egg tofu from fridge 30 minutes before cooking time.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for pan-frying. Pan-fry the egg tofu on batches until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Leave 2 tbsp of cooking oil in the skillet, saute the chopped garlic, young ginger, shallot, bird’s eye chillies and white part of spring onion until fragrant.
- Add in shrimps, saute until half-cooked.
- Add in shimeji mushroom, saute until turn soft.
- Add in seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Thicken the sauce with corn starch solution.
- Add in pan-fried egg tofu, gently stir to combine.
- Dish out, garnish with chopped spring onion. Serve.