1 no x 1.8kg whole chicken (cut into 12 pieces)
560g potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
162g big onion (peeled and sliced)
36g garlic (peeled and sliced)
70g young ginger (peeled and shredded)
70g meat curry powder
1 pc cinnamon stick
2 pcs star anise
3 pcs cardamom
1 sprig curry leaves (discard stem)
250ml thick coconut milk
64ml cooking oil
1 pc tamarind slice
1 tbsp sugar
½ tbsp salt
- Wash and rinse the chicken pieces a few times. Drained and set aside.
- Heat up a pot with cooking oil, saute the sliced big onion, garlic, shredded young ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise and cardamom until fragrant.
- Add in meat curry powder, stir to combine.
- Add in ½ cup water, stir to combine. Turn heat to low and saute until oil separates.
- Add in potato, curry leaves and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken pieces, bring to a boil.
- Add in thick coconut milk, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Turn to medium heat. Covered and continue to simmer until chicken cooked through and potatoes turn soft. Stirring occasionally.
- Add in tamarind slices, sugar and salt. Stir to combine and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Dish out and serve with roti jala.