Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
385g skinless & boneless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
1 green chilli (deseeded, sliced thinly)
1 red chilli (deseeded, sliced thinly)
1 stalk spring onion (chopped)
1 medium sized onion (chopped)
4 dried chillies
1 tsp extra virgin sesame oil
Adequate cooking oil for pan-frying
1 ½ tsp chopped young ginger
1 ½ tsp light soy sauce
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 large egg
½ cup potato starch
Spicy Garlic & Leek Infused Oil:
¼ cup cooking oil
60g shredded leek
6 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
1 tbsp coarse red chilli flakes
Sweet & Sour Sauce: (mixed well)
1 ½ tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp white vinegar
1 ½ tsp potato starch
- Marinate the chicken pieces with chopped young ginger, light soy sauce and ground black pepper in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add the egg and potato starch. Put on a disposable glove and mix well by hand.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with ¼ cup of cooking oil. When the oil is heated, lower the heat to medium and add the garlic and leek. Stir them with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes until the garlic and leek turn light golden brown and crispy.
- Take the garlic and leek out with tongs and put them in a small plate.
- Turn off the heat and add the coarse red chilli flakes to the hot oil. Stir it and let it cool for a few minutes. Strain the oil and set aside.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for pan-frying over high heat.
- Turn down the heat to medium high and fry the coated chicken pieces until crunchy and golden brown.
- Remove and strain. Turn off heat.
- Heat up a large non-stick skillet. Add the spicy garlic leek infused oil. When the oil is heated, add the onion, spring onion, red chilli, green chilli and dried chilli. Stir over medium high heat until the onion starts turning crispy. Add the sweet and sour sauce and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Reheat the oil in the skillet and double-fry the chicken pieces until very crunchy and golden brown. Remove and strain.
- Reheat the sauce until it’s sizzling. Add the fried chicken, leek and garlic, and sesame oil. Stir and mix to coat the chicken pieces.
- Dish out and serve immediately.