Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Madam Choong’s Noodle Secrets
150g rice vermicelli
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp shredded young ginger
100g medium-sized prawn
A few slices carrot
10 pieces sugar snap peas
1 red chilli (cut into wedges)
1 stalk spring onion (cut into sections)
2 ½ cups water
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp concentrated chicken stock
½ tbsp light soy sauce
A dash dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp fermented black bean (steamed)
A pinch ground white pepper
½ tbsp tapioca starch
¾ tbsp water
- Soak rice vermicelli in cold water for 30 minutes, remove and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Wash and slice lean meat, combine with a dash of light soy sauce, tapioca starch, water and oil accordingly. Set aside.
- Remove shells of prawns and devein, rub with a little salt, wash and pat dry with kitchen paper. Slit on the back and mix well with a pinch of sugar and a dash of oil. Set aside.
- Tear off the sugar snap peas vein and remove stem, wash and set aside.
- Heat up wok till 70% hot, reduce to low heat, add in some oil and swirl the wok gently to spread oil evenly. Add in rice vermicelli and spread it out, briefly pan-fry and turn to high heat, pan-fry till golden brown. Add in a little oil, turn it over and pan-fry the other side till golden brown (move the vermicelli constantly), transfer into a deep plate.
- Heat up some oil in the same wok, saute chopped garlic and shredded young ginger till fragrant. Add in remaining ingredients and stir-fry till fragrant. Stir in 2 ½ cups of water and seasonings, bring to a boil. Thicken with flour solution, sprinkle spring onion sections and mix well, pour over pan-fried rice vermicelli. Serve hot.