1 no x 1.2kg whole chicken (cleaned and cut into quarters)
1-inch galangal (flattened)
1/2-inch young ginger (flattened)
2 tbsp cooking oil
6 shallots (peeled)
4 cloves garlic (peeled)
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp white peppercorn
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp palm sugar
Glaze: (mixed well)
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp kicap manis
- Rinse, drained the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the blended ingredients and flattened galangal and young ginger until fragrant.
- Add in water and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken pieces and continue to simmer on medium high heat until cooked. Leave to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Remove and drained the cooked chicken pieces and transfer onto a baking sheet.
- Use a silicone brush to brush the glaze on the chicken pieces and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray, apply the glaze on the chicken pieces again and bake in the preheated oven for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process until all the glaze has been used up and chicken become golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken pieces onto a serving platter.
- Serve with lettuce and cherry tomatoes.