Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
Red Bean Porridge:
1 cup red bean
10 cups water
½ cup glutinous rice flour
1 cup water
2 tsp salt
Adequate Demerara sugar
Rice Cake Balls:
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup boiling water
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
- Wash the red beans and strain.
- Add the red beans and 10 cups water into a pot. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium heat and continue to simmer for ½ hour. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for another 1 hour until red beans are very tender and mashable. Leave to cool completely.
- Set a coarse strainer over a large bowl. Pour the cooked beans and water into the strainer. Mash the beans with a wooden spoon so that the beans go through the strainer and the skins stay in the strainer.
- Squeeze the bean skins with your hands and discard.
- Put the bean mixture into the pot. Add water to make it up to 8 cups.
- Put 2 cups of glutinous rice flour, ½ tsp salt and 1 tbsp of sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the boiling water and mix it with a wooden spoon. When it cools enough to touch, knead the dough with your hand until smooth and well incorporated.
- Knead the dough into balls about 7g each. Repeat the process until all ingredients has been used up.
- Stir the bean mixture and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Add the rice cake balls and stir them in well. Continue to simmer until all the rice cake balls float to the surface.
- Mix ½ cup glutinous rice flour and 1 cup water in a mixing bowl and pour it into the boiling porridge, stirring with a wooden spoon. The porridge will thicken a bit.
- Add in 2 tsp of salt and stir well.
- Dish out to individual serving bowl, top with some demerara sugar. Serve hot.