½ cup caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg (beaten and divided)
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup corn flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
75g walnuts (roasted and coarsely ground)
12 walnut halves
- In a mixing bowl, add in lard, caster sugar and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in ¾ portion of the beaten egg. Whisk to combine.
- Add in all-purpose flour, corn flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add in coarsely ground walnuts. Stir to combine and knead into a dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions, i.e. 54g each.
- Shape each dough into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet 3-inch apart from each other.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Gently press a walnut halves into each cookie dough.
- Use a pastry brush to apply the remaining beaten egg as egg wash onto each cookie dough.
- Bake at preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and leave the Chinese walnut cookies to cool completely before serving and remaining to be kept into an air-tight container.