300g sliced rice cake (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
120g beef tenderloin
½ brown onion (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 stalk spring onion (sectioned and reserved some green part for garnishing use)
7 cups water
1 tbsp soy sauce for soup
¼ tsp ground white pepper
¼ tsp salt
Beef removed from the broth
¼ tsp chopped garlic
¼ tsp extra virgin sesame oil
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
1/8 tsp salt
Some green part of spring onion (sliced diagonally)
¼ pcs toasted seaweed (cut into strips)
- Add beef tenderloin, sliced brown onion, garlic, spring onion and 7 cups of water into a pot. Bring to a boil and turn heat to medium low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the egg garnish. Separate the egg. Lightly beat both egg white and egg yolk separately. Heat up a lightly oiled non-stick skillet on medium low heat. Pour the egg white and egg yolk separately into a thin layer, tilting the skillet and cook each side briefly. Remove and leave to cool completely. Cut into strips and set aside.
- Remove the beef tenderloin and set aside to cool completely. Discard the vegetables. Season the broth with soy sauce for soup, ground white pepper and salt.
- Cut the beef tenderloin into strips and mix well with chopped garlic, extra virgin sesame oil, ground white pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Add the rice cake slices and continue to simmer until the rice cake turn soft.
- Ladle the steaming soup into individual serving bowl and garnish with the shredded beef, egg, spring onion and seaweed strips. Serve hot.