1 no x 1.8kg whole chicken (cleaned)
3 stalk spring onion (section the white part and chopped the green part for garnishing)
1 brown onion (peeled and quartered)
15 cloves garlic (peeled)
½ tsp black peppercorns
1-inch young ginger (sliced))
2 tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
- Add whole chicken, white part of spring onion, brown onion, garlic, black peppercorns and water into a pot. Bring to a boil and turn heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat off. Remove the chicken and leave it to cool a bit. Discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat into bite size pieces.
- Bring the soup to a boil again. Remove the excess fat.
- Season with salt and ground white pepper.
- To serve: place some rice in individual serving bowl, add shredded chicken, and ladle the hot broth on top. Garnish with chopped spring onion. Serve with kimchi.