Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from pengskitchen.blogspot.my
Ingredients: (yield 14 tarts using 6.5cm top x 4.5cm base tart tin)
170g all-purpose flour
35g icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
85g cold unsalted butter (cubed)
2 egg yolks
1 tsp full cream milk
125g cream cheese
130g mascarpone cheese
20g cheddar cheese
10g grated parmesan cheese
25g unsalted butter
130ml full cream milk
40g icing sugar
15g corn starch
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
1 cold egg yolk (for brushing on top of cheese custard)
- Making tart pastry: Add all-purpose flour, icing sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Add in cold unsalted butter cubes.
- Using a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in egg yolk and mix into flour mixture and form into a dough.
- Add full cream milk and lightly knead into a soft dough. Place dough into a plastic container and chill in the fridge and rest it for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare cheese custard: combine all cheeses, full cream milk and unsalted butter into a large bowl. Place the bowl over barely simmering water. Keep stirring till all mixture is melted.
- Once the mixture has melted, add in icing sugar and corn starch. Mix till well combined.
- Add in beaten eggs, pure vanilla extract and lemon juice. Stir constantly till mixture thickens into custard. Add in salt. Stir to combine.
- Sift the custard into another clean bowl for a more velvety smooth texture. Cool down the custard completely and transfer into a piping bag. Store the custard in the fridge till ready to use.
- Remove the dough from fridge. Place a silicone baking mat on a working surface. Roll the dough thinly to about 4mm thickness. Use a 7.5cm round cutter and stamp the dough.
- Place the cut dough carefully over tart tin and gently press into the tart tin. Use a fork to poke holes at the base of the tart pastry.
- Bake the tarts pastry at 180C for 10 mins. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. After the tart pastry are cooled slightly, remove them from the tins and cool completely before use.
- Preheat oven to 230C. Pipe the cheese custard into the cooled tart pastry, shape slightly domed. Brush egg yolk evenly over the cheese custard.
- Bake the tart for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Serve warm.