1 no x 1.6kg whole chicken (cleaned)
1 brown onion (sliced and divided)
1 whole garlic (peeled)
2 stalk spring onion (sectioned the white part for soup and chopped the green part for garnishing use)
1-inch young ginger (sliced)
3g dried kelp
1 zucchini (shredded)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cooking oil
Seasonings for chicken meat:
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp extra virgin sesame oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
Seasonings for soup:
1 tbsp soy sauce for soup
1 tbsp salt
¼ ground white pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting
½ tsp salt
2 tsp cooking oil
- Homemade noodles:
- In a mixing bowl, add in all-purpose flour, salt and cooking oil.
- Pour in water gradually and mix to become a rough dough.
- Transfer the rough dough on a working surface and continue to knead the dough until become soft and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl, covered and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and dust generously with all-purpose flour.
- Roll the dough using noodle machine and cut into noodles. Dust with all-purpose flour to prevent the dough from sticking together.
- I’ve prepared the noodle one day ahead and leave in the fridge overnight. Remove the noodle from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking time.
- Add 2500ml of water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in whole chicken, ½ portion of sliced onion, garlic, young ginger and white part of spring onion and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mix the shredded zucchini with 1 tsp of salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Squeezed dried and lightly saute with 1 tsp of cooking oil. Remove and set aside.
- After 1 hour, turn off heat, remove the whole chicken, discard the vegetables, strain the broth and remove the excess fat.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle. Remove the meat off the bones. Shredded the meat into bite-sized pieces. Add the chopped garlic, extra virgin sesame oil, salt and ground white pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Return the broth back into the pot, add in the remaining portion of sliced onion and dried kelp. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard the kelp and season the broth with soy sauce for soup, salt and ground white pepper.
- Bring some water to a boil, add in homemade noodles and continue to simmer until al-dente.
- Remove and place into individual serving bowl.
- Ladle hot broth into individual serving bowl with noodles, top with shredded chicken meat, sautéed zucchini and chopped spring onion. Serve.