200g zucchini (cut into matchstick)
1 tsp salt
20g fresh shiitake mushroom (discard the stem and slice the cap)
2 tsp extra virgin sesame oil (divided)
1 tsp soy sauce for soup
16 pieces dumpling wrapper
10g peeled anchovy
4g dried kelp
1 tbsp soy sauce for soup
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1 stalk spring onion (chopped)
- Anchovy broth:
- Rinse and drained the dried anchovy and dried kelp.
- Add the dried anchovy, dried kelp and 1500ml water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings:
- Mix the zucchini with salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Squeeze dried and set aside.
- Marinate the sliced shiitake mushroom with extra virgin sesame oil and soy sauce for soup and set aside.
- Heat up a skillet with 1 tsp of extra virgin sesame oil, saute the zucchini until cooked. Remove and leave to cool completely.
- Add in the marinated sliced shiitake mushroom into the skillet and saute until the mushroom turn soft. Remove and leave to cool completely.
- Mix the zucchini and shiitake mushroom together.
- Place a heaping tsp of filling on a dumpling wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water and seal tightly (pushing the air out with your fingers) into a half-moon shape. Bring the two ends together, apply water to one end and press tightly to create a round shape. Repeat this process until all the filling and wrappers are used.
- Discard the dried anchovy and kelp from the anchovy broth.
- Bring the anchovy broth to a boil and season with soy sauce for soup, salt and ground white pepper.
- Add in dumplings and simmer until all of them float to the top, and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Ladle the steaming soup into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onion. Serve.