2 egg plant (472g) (cut into strips)
335g boneless & skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces)
50g shallot (peeled and sliced)
1 red chilli (seeded and cut into wedges)
3 dried chillies (cut into half)
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp egg white
1 tbsp tapioca starch
2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cooking caramel
½ cup water
½ tsp potato starch mixed with 2 tsp water
Some cilantro leaves
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and egg white. Mix to combine, add in tapioca starch, mix to combine.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with adequate cooking oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry the marinated chicken pieces until golden brown. Remove and drained.
3 Use the remaining oil to deep-fry the eggplant until cooked. Remove and drained.
- Heat up a wok with some cooking oil, saute the sliced shallot until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drained.
- Leave 2 tbsp of shallot oil in the wok. Saute the dried chilli until fragrant.
- Add in the deep-fried chicken pieces and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in deep-fried eggplant, red chilli and stir to combine.
- Thicken the sauce with potato starch solution.
- Dish out to a serving bowl, garnish with crispy fried shallot, cilantro leaves and serve.