2 cups glutinous rice (soaked for 5 hours and drained)
2 tbsp cooking oil for greasing the steaming plate
Caramel & Seasoning Sauce:
¼ cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp extra virgin sesame oil
2 tbsp cooking oil
Honey, Fruits & Nuts:
¼ cup honey
10 nos (262g) fresh water chestnut (peeled and cut into half)
¼ cup golden raisins
20 nos dried jujubes (pitted and halved)
2 tbsp pine nuts (removed the tips)
2 tbsp dried cranberries
- Grease an 11-inch round steaming plate with 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Spread the soaked glutinous rice on the steaming plate and steam at a preheated steamer at high heat for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and continue to steam for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel and seasoning sauce:
- Add the caster sugar and 2 tbsp of water into a non-stick saucepan on high heat and do not stir.
- When it starts to boil, move the pan around to mix it up.
- Once it starts to bubble. Turn to low heat and swirl the sauce around the saucepan to mix it up.
- When it gets a little smoky and turns dark brown, remove from the heat. Add 2 tbsp of water and tilt and move the pan so it all mixes well.
- Add in dark brown sugar, light soy sauce, cinnamon powder, extra virgin sesame oil and cooking oil. Stir to combine and simmer on low heat until the dark brown sugar is dissolved.
- Remove and leave to cool completely.
- Add the honey, water chestnut, golden raisins, dried jujubes, pine nuts, dried cranberries, caramel and seasoning sauce into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add in the hot steamed glutinous rice, mix well with a wooden spoon until all the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Grease the round steaming plater with 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Spread the mixed glutinous rice onto the steaming plate and steam at preheated steamer at medium high heat for 30 minutes.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with cling wrap. Place the sweetened rice with dried fruits and nuts onto the baking pan. Pack it down slightly so it all stick together. Leave aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Invert the sweetened rice with dried fruits and nuts onto a chopping board and cut into 9 equal pieces and serve.
- Wrap the remaining with cling wrap individually and freeze it in the refrigerator for later use.
- When you want to eat, take it out from the freezer, thaw it out at room temperature, discard the cling wrap and steam for 5 minutes.