Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
Ingredients: (makes about 340g of cookies)
¼ cup caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup roasted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
¼ cup rice syrup
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp water
- Make the dough:
- Crack 1 egg into a bowl. Add ¼ cup of caster sugar, ¼ tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of cooking oil and 1tsp of pure vanilla extract. Mix well with a spoon.
- Add the all-purpose flour and baking powder and knead for 1 minute until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough in a plastic container and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make the syrup:
- Put ¼ cup of rice syrup, 2 tbsp of caster sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a small sauce pan.
- Boil over medium low heat for 10 minutes until bubbling and the color of the syrup changes to a light brown. Be sure not to stir it, just swirl the syrup around by tilting the pan. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Form & fry the cookies:
- Apply your palm with some cooking oil. Take some dough and roll it out into a long, ¼ inch thick rope. Cut it into 2-inch pieces. Repeat the process until all the dough has been used up.
- Heat up the cooking oil in a skillet until the temperature reaches about 180C.
- Fry the cookie dough over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until they turn a light golden brown and get crunchy. Strain the cookies and fry the second batch.
- Bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place the fried cookies in a lined baking sheet and bake them for 8 minutes or until they are golden brown and very crunchy.
- Put it together:
- Reheat the syrup.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add the baked cookies, coarsely chopped roasted peanuts and the hot syrup. Mix it well with a wooden spoon.
- Put the sticky cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let them cool for a couple of minutes, then separate them by hand or a spoon so they don’t stick together.
- Serve as snack or dessert.
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container or plastic bag and freeze for up to 1 month.