Tested Recipe Adapted from www.maangchi.com
450g potatoes (peeled and cut into ½-inch thick pieces)
3 hard-boiled eggs (shelled)
1 English cucumber (washed, seeded and chopped into pieces)
½ tsp salt (divided)
¼ ground white pepper
2 tbsp rice syrup
½ cup mayonnaise
- In a bowl, combine the chopped cucumber with ¼ tsp salt and mix well. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it sweats out water. Strain and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Crack open the hard-boiled eggs and separate the yolks from the whites.
- Chop up the egg whites. Set aside.
- Grate an egg yolk for garnish. Press 1 egg yolk through a sieve or wire strainer with a teaspoon. Set the other 2 egg yolks aside.
- Rinse the potato chunks in cold water to remove excess starch and place them in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add ½ cup water and ¼ tsp of salt. Cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat.
- Remove from the heat. Drain any excess water, and put the cooked potato back to the pot. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes over very low heat, to remove more moisture. Uncover.
- Mash the hot potato with a potato masher and add the 2 cooked egg yolks and the egg whites. Keep mashing until well mixed.
- Add the squeezed cucumber, ¼ tsp ground white pepper, and rice syrup. Mix it well with a wooden spoon. Add the mayonnaise and mix well. Cool it down at room temperature and keep it in the refrigerator. Serve cold as a side dish or snack.