Tested Recipe Adapted from www.maangchi.com
450g Korean sweet potato
¼ cup caster sugar
1 tsp toasted black sesame seeds
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
- Prepare the sweet potato:
- Peel the sweet potato.
- Rinse it in cold water and dry it with paper towel.
- Slice into chunks that look like smooth-edged triangles, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick.
- Put adequate cooking oil in the wok for deep-frying and heat it up.
- Fry the chunks of the sweet potato over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Make coating syrup:
- In a thick bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp of cooking oil, spread the oil by moving the pan around.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of caster sugar over the oil evenly.
- Heat it up over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- When the sugar starts melting, lower the heat and simmer until the sugar turns into a golden brownish syrup.
- Put it together:
- Lay out a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Add the fried sweet potato to the syrup in the pan. Gently mix to coat the potato chunks in the syrup.
- Sprinkle some toasted black sesame seeds over top.
- Transfer the coated sweet potato to the parchment paper. Leave a gap in between each potato piece so that they don’t stick to each other.
- When the coating cools down and become solid, transfer to a serving platter.