Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from http://www.maangchi.com
Ingredients: (serves 2)
280g dried naengmyeon noodles
2 packets liquid concentrated broth that comes with the package of naengmyeon noodles
2 packets mustard oil that comes with the package of naengmyeon noodles
½ cucumber (seeded and sliced thinly)
1 Korean pear
½ tsp salt
2 ½ tsp sugar (divided)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 hard-boiled egg (cut in halves)
Adequate ice cubes
- Prepare broth:
- Open the packets of the concentrated broth and put them into a bowl. Mix with 4cups of water.
- Keep in the freezer for 5 hours so it gets slushy.
- Prepare cucumber and pear garnishes:
- Make quick pickled cucumbers by combining the sliced cucumber, ½ tsp of salt, 1 ½ tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of white vinegar in a bowl. Mix it well and set aside.
- Make sugar water by mixing 1 cup of water and 1 tsp of sugar.
- Peel the pear and slice into halves. Slice one half into thin slices and soak them in the sugar water to keep them from going brown.
- Blend the other half of the pear and squeeze out the juice using a cheesecloth. Yield about ½ cup of pear juice.
- Take the bowl of broth out from the freezer. Squeeze some cucumber brine into the broth and add the pear juice.
- Mix well and put the broth back in the fridge until the noodles are ready.
- Prepare noodles:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and stir with a wooden spoon and let them cook for 3 minutes.
- Strain and rinse the noodles in cold running water until they aren’t slippery anymore and are well cooled.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and some ice cubes. Add the noodles and rinse them a final time.
- Drain the noodles and divide them into 2 large shallow stainless steel bowls.
- Put it together:
- Pour the icy broth into each bowl.
- Place the pear and cucumber on top.
- Add a packet of mustard oil to each bowl.
- Add a half egg on top of each bowl.
- Serve right away.