Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
Ingredients: (serves 6)
6 free range eggs
2 tsp white vinegar
4 peeled anchovies
½ medium onion (thinly sliced)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 green chilli (sliced diagonally)
1 cup water
¼ cup light soy sauce
- Prepare the eggs:
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add the vinegar and the eggs. Cover and let cook for 1 minute, then stir with a wooden spoon so that the egg yolks will be set in the center. Cover and cook for another 1 minute, then stir again. Cover and cook for 6 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain in cold running water. Soak the eggs in cold water for 10 minutes. Pour out the water and shake the pan so that the egg shells crack.
- Open and add some cold water. You should now be able to shell the eggs easily and cleanly. You want to keep the eggs as round and beautiful as possible.
- Make soy broth:
- Heat a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the anchovies and stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes, until the anchovies turn a little light brown.
- Add garlic, onion, and green chilli, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the water and the light soy sauce. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Strain over a bowl and press down on the mixture in your strainer to get all the good, clear broth out of the ingredients. Let the broth cool down.
- To serve immediately, cut the eggs in half, put them in a shallow bowl, and pour the broth over top. Serve as a side dish.
- To serve for later, put all the eggs and the broth in a glass jar and refrigerate up to a week.