Egg Yolk batter:
6 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
150g durian flesh (blended)
150ml thick coconut milk
¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
140g cake flour
¼ tsp salt
6 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven at 170C.
- In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolk and caster sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add in thick coconut milk. Whisk to combine.
- Add in blended durian flesh. Whisk to combine.
- Add in cake flour and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in extra virgin coconut oil. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Add in cream of tartar. Beat well. Mix in 1/3 of caster sugar at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and mix into the egg yolk batter.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 20cm chiffon cake pan. Level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove can from the oven, invert the pan immediately. Allow to cool completely.