Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 cups fragrant rice (rinsed and drained)
5 pandan leaves (knotted)
1-inch young ginger (sliced)
2 stalk lemongrass (white part only, flattened)
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 cup water
½ tsp salt
Ayam & Udang Goreng Berempah:
6 pcs chicken drumstick (discard the skin and prick the flesh with fork)
6 pcs medium size prawns (trimmed)
2 tbsp rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
¼ cup fried shallot
3 stalk lemongrass (white part only)
½ inch young ginger
½ inch galangal
1 inch turmeric
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
Sambal Tumis Udang:
300g medium prawns (trimmed)
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with ½ cup water (discard seeds)
¼ tsp salt
30g dried chillies (soaked)
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp toasted belacan
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
Spices for Fried Rice: (blended)
10 dried chillies (soaked)
6 red bird’s eye chillies
3 cloves garlic
¼ tsp toasted belacan
4 soft-boiled eggs (shelled and halved)
1 cup fried ikan bilis (anchovies)
1 cup fried peanuts
1 cucumber (sliced)
- Marinate the chicken drumstick and prawns with marinade separately and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Nasi Lemak:
- Add the fragrant rice, pandan leaves, young ginger, lemongrass, thick coconut milk, water and salt in a steaming plate and steam at preheated steamer until cooked.
- Remove the nasi lemak from the steamer and leave aside to cool completely.
- Ayam & Udang Goreng Berempah:
- In a mixing bowl, add in 2 tbsp of rice flour and ¼ tsp of salt. Mix to combine. Coat the flour mixture to the marinated chicken drumstick evenly and set aside.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry the marinated chicken drumstick until golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to deep-fry the marinated prawns until golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Sambal Tumis Udang:
- Marinade the prawns with salt and set aside.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 4 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the marinated prawns until turn pink. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute the blended spices until fragrant.
- Add in tamarind juice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add in prawns, stir to combine.
- Dish out and set aside.
- Nasi Lemak Kukus Goreng:
- Discard the pandan leaves, young ginger and lemongrass from nasi lemak and fluff the rice to separate the grains.
- Heat up a wok with 1 tbsp of oil from frying ayam & udang goreng berempah. Saute the spices until fragrant.
- Add in nasi lemak and ½ tsp of salt. Constantly stirring until fragrant and well incorporated.
- Remove from heat and dish out the nasi lemak kukus goreng into 4 separate bowls.
- To serve: Place a banana leaves on a serving platter. Invert the nasi lemak kukus goreng at the centre of the plate. Serve with ayam & udang goreng berempah, sambal tumis udang, soft boiled eggs, fried ikan bilis, fried peanuts and sliced cucumber.