850g pork belly (cut into slab)
150g shallots (peeled and sliced)
6 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
2 stalk spring onion (trimmed and sectioned)
½ cup cooking oil
2 cups water
¼ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp cooking caramel
1 ½ tsp five spice powder
30g rock sugar
½ tsp ground white pepper
- Heat up ½ cup of cooking oil in a wok on low heat. Add in sliced shallots and continue to saute until crispy and golden brown. Remove the fried shallot and set aside.
- Leave 1 tbsp of shallot oil in the wok. Pan-fry the pork belly on high heat until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute the spring onion and sliced garlic until fragrant.
- Add in water, seasonings and pan-fried pork belly and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, covered and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add in fried shallot, stir to combine and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes until the pork belly turn soft and sauce has become thickens.
- Dish out and serve.