Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.beyondkimchee.com
1 no x 1.35kg whole chicken (cut into pieces, skin removed)
2 carrots (diced to 1-inch pieces)
1 onion (diced)
470g potato (peeled and diced to large bite size chunks)
2 green chillies (sliced)
2 spring onion (sliced diagonally)
3 cups sea kelp stock
3 tbsp gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
3 tbsp gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
4 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Korean soy sauce for soup
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp grated young ginger
2 tbsp mirin
2 tsp extra virgin sesame oil
- Make the sea kelp stock: Put a piece about 5-inches of dried sea kelp in a small pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to boil first, then simmer for 5 minutes over low heat. Discard the sea kelp and you will get the golden sea kelp stock ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the seasoning paste in. add the chicken and toss to coat with the seasoning. Place the chicken in a braising pan.
- Pour the sea kelp stock over the chicken barely cover them, about 3 cups. Bring to medium high heat and let them boil first, then cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the onion and carrots to the chicken, toss together. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the chicken and vegetable mixture and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat to medium high and continue to cook uncovered until the liquid in the pan evaporates. Tossing occasionally but very carefully without breaking the carrot and potatoes.
- Add the green chillies and spring onion at last to toss. Serve hot with rice.