Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
¾ cup light soy sauce
3 dried shiitake mushroom
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 ½ cup water
2 garlic cloves (sliced)
1 apple (pit removed and sliced)
1 onion (sliced)
Adequate cooking oil for pan-frying
- Drain and rinse the tofu and cube into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with adequate cooking oil for pan-frying. Pan-fry the tofu until all sides are golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Prepare the brine by putting the light soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, apple, dried shiitake mushrooms, and water into a thick bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat and boil for another 30 minutes. Strain with a strainer.
- Put the fried tofu and sliced onion into a container. Pour the strained brine over top, and add the cooked shiitake mushrooms.
- To serve: put some of the tofu, brine, and onions into a serving bowl, along with some of the shiitake mushroom slices.
- Serve as a side dish with rice or noodles.