Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.koreanbapsang.com
560g beef brisket (cut into 2 to 3-inch rectangles)
½ medium onion
2 scallions (white part only)
240g radish (cut into big chunks)
8 cloves garlic
1-inch young ginger (sliced)
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
5 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce for soup
3 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp mirin
1 red chilli (sliced diagonally)
1 green chilli (sliced diagonally)
1 piece x 3-inch square dried kelp
- In a medium pot, add in 6 cups of water together with onion, white part of scallions, radish, garlic, young ginger and coarsely ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in beef brisket and bring it to a gentle boil, and remove the scum. Reduce the heat to medium low. Boil, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef brisket. Drain the liquid, reserving the broth.
- Add 2 cups of the broth back to the pot. The remaining to be kept for later use for soup or stew. Add the beef brisket, light soy sauce, soy sauce for soup, caster sugar and mirin. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, and boil until the beef brisket is tender and the sauce is reduced to about 1/3, about 30 minutes. Add the red and green chillies and dried kelp with about 7-8 minutes of the time remaining.
- Remove the kelp, and transfer the beef brisket and sauce to an airtight container.
- Shred the meat and pour some sauce over to serve as a side dish. Keep it refrigerated in an airtight container. It will keep well up to 10 days.