Ingredients: (yield 12 scones)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices streaky bacon (cut into small pieces)
¼ cup chopped spring onion
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
85g unsalted butter (diced)
¾ cup full cream milk
¾ tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp full cream milk
¼ tsp shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, add in ¾ cup of full cream milk and ¾ tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Set aside to make buttermilk.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet, saute the bacon until fragrant. Remove and leave to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all-purpose flour, caster sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coarsely ground black pepper and smoked paprika. Whisk to combine.
- Cut the unsalted butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped spring onion.
- Add in the buttermilk and stir just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently until it comes together.
- Form into a 7-inch round, use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut the dough into circles.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet lined with silicone baking mat with 2-inch spacing apart. Gather up any scraps, re-roll, and cut out the remaining scones.
- Brush the tops of the scones with full cream milk and top with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 200C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool.