Ingredients: (makes 10 pieces)
110g all-purpose flour
15g caster sugar
¼ tsp maltose
50ml hot water
75g all-purpose flour
80g icing sugar
25g all-purpose flour
20g unsalted butter (soften at room temperature)
½ tbsp hot water
1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Water dough:
- Dissolve the maltose with hot water and set aside.
- In a bowl, add in all-purpose flour, caster sugar and shortening. Mix to combine. Gradually add in the maltose water and knead into a dough.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape into balls.
- Oil dough:
- In a bowl, add in all-purpose flour and shortening. Knead to combine. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape into balls.
- Dissolve the maltose with hot water.
- Add in icing sugar, all-purpose flour and unsalted butter. Mix to combine and divide the filling into 10 equal portions and shape into balls.
- To assemble:
- Flatten a water dough to a disc and place an oil dough in the centre.
- Wrap the water dough with oil dough. Seal the edges and shape into a ball.
- Roll the dough into rectangular shape. Then roll it up like Swiss roll. Turn it 90 degree.
- Roll the dough again into rectangular shape. Roll it up like Swiss roll.
- Put the roll into stand position. Flatten the dough with your palm.
- Roll the dough into a disc and place a filling at the centre, wrap the dough up and seal the edges.
- Transfer the dough onto a lined baking sheet with silicone baking mat and flatten it slightly.
- Repeat the process for the remaining dough and filling.
- Brush egg wash onto the surface and bake at 200C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on wire rack before serving.