Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
1 no x 800g mackerel (cleaned and cut into pieces)
1 no x 780g radish (peeled and cut into thick pieces)
2 large onion (sliced)
2 green chillies (sliced diagonally)
1 red chilli (sliced diagonally)
3 stalk spring onion (sectioned)
1 cup water
Seasoning sauce: (mixed well)
1/3 cup chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped young ginger
½ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup hot pepper flakes
- Place radish pieces to a large thick bottomed pot. Spread them out evenly.
- Place the onion slices over the radish.
- Place the mackerel pieces over the onion.
- Pour the seasoning sauce over the fish. Pour in 1 cup of water along the edges of the pot.
- Close the lid and bring to a boil over high heat for 20 minutes.
- Open the lid, tilt the pot, and use a spoon to push aside the mackerel and radish to make empty spot for the broth to well.
- Scoop some broth from the empty spot and pour it over top of the fish and radish. Repeat several times.
- Add the spring onion, red and green chillies.
- Close the lid and lower the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes, until the radish is cooked thoroughly. The radish will absorb the soy sauce based broth, so it will look brownish and a little translucent when cooked nicely.
- Open the lid and turn the heat to boil off the excess broth.
- Tilt the pot and use a spoon to push aside the mackerel and radish to make empty sport for the broth to well.
- Scoop some broth from the empty spot and pour it over the top of the fish and radish. Repeat it off and on for about 5 minutes.
- Dish out and serve with rice.