Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from omnivorescookbook.com
Ingredients: (yield 14 meatballs)
500g ground pork (lean fat ratio 7:3)
4 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp cooking caramel
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp grated young ginger
½ cup chopped spring onion
1 tbsp corn starch
12 water chestnuts (finely chopped)
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp extra virgin sesame oil
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Add ground pork into a mixing bowl. Add 4 tbsp of water. Put on a disposable glove. Use hand to mix well until water is fully incorporated.
- Add Chinese cooking wine, light soy sauce, cooking caramel, salt, caster sugar, grated young ginger, corn starch and chopped spring onion. Mix well.
- Add chopped water chestnuts and eggs. Mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Add extra virgin sesame oil, mix until it forms a soft paste.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of peanut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until warm.
- Use a large ice-cream scoop to scoop the paste and carefully place 4 meatballs in the skillet and make sure to leave enough space to flip them. When the bottom side is just set, carefully roll the ball with a spatula to cook the other sides. Continue to do this until all sides are set and browned. Transfer to a steaming plate and continue to brown the rest of the meatballs.
- Transfer the steaming plate to the preheated steamer and steam at medium high heat for 40 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Dish out, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with rice.