Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from omnivorescookbook.com
2 (450g) Chinese long eggplant (cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tsp chopped young ginger
3 tbsp cooking oil (divided)
1 tbsp corn starch
Seasoning: (mixed well)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp corn starch
1 stalk spring onion (sliced diagonally)
- Place eggplant into a large bowl and add water to cover. Add 1 tsp of salt and mix well. Soak the eggplant in salt water for 15 minutes and drained.
- Sprinkle eggplant with 1 tbsp of corn starch and mix by hand, until eggplant is evenly coated with a thin layer of corn starch.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium high heat with 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Spread eggplant across the bottom of the skillet without overlapping. Grill the eggplant one side a time until all the surfaces are charred and the eggplant turns soft. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of cooking oil, chopped garlic and young ginger into the same skillet. Saute until fragrant. Add all the eggplant back into the skillet. Turn to medium heat. Mix the seasoning again until corn starch is fully dissolved and pour it over the eggplant. Stir to combine until the eggplant is evenly coated and the sauce thickens.
- Dish out, garnish with sliced spring onion and serve.