Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from omnivorescookbook.com
450g extra firm tofu (cut tofu into 1-inch pieces)
1 red onion (diced)
1 tbsp chopped young ginger
2 tsp chopped garlic
4 stalks spring onion (sectioned)
4 dried chillies (halved)
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
¼ cup corn starch
Seasoning sauce: (mixed well)
2 tbsp Zhejiang black vinegar
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking caramel
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp chicken seasoning powder
½ tsp corn starch
1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
- Marinate the extra firm tofu with marinade and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Discard the liquid and coat the marinated tofu with corn starch evenly.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Pan-fry the coated marinated tofu until golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute the red onion, chopped young ginger, garlic, white part of spring onion and dried chillies until fragrant.
- Add in seasoning sauce, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add in pan-fried tofu, toss well and continue to simmer until the tofu absorb some of the sauce.
- Add in green part of spring onion. Stir to combine.
- Dish out, garnish with toasted white sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice.