Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.seriouseats.com
110g firm tofu (cut into ¼-inch slices)
350g ground pork (lean fat ratio 7:3)
¼ cup chopped fresh water chestnuts
1 tsp minced young ginger
2 spring onion (white parts finely minced and green parts thinly sliced, divided)
1 egg yolk
½ tsp sugar
2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
3 tsp light soy sauce (divided)
¾ tsp salt (divided)
2 ½ tsp corn starch (divided)
¾ tsp ground white pepper (divided)
3 tsp minced garlic (divided)
3 tbsp + 1 tsp cooking oil (divided)
1 ½ cup water mixed with 1 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
5 heads baby bok choy (halved)
6 napa cabbage leaves (cut into 2-inch pieces, thick stalk and leafy parts separated)
100g glass noodles
- Place tofu slices in a heatproof bowl, and pour boiling water on top to cover. Let stand for 30 seconds. Drain and transfer tofu to a paper towel-lined plate. Press gently on the tofu with paper towels to dry thoroughly.
- Transfer tofu slices to a bowl. Using a fork, mash tofu into fine pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, mashed tofu, chopped water chestnuts, minced young ginger, minced white part of spring onion, egg yolk, sugar, Chinese cooking wine, ½ tsp of salt, 2 tsp of minced garlic, ½ tsp of ground white pepper, 2 tsp of light soy sauce and 1 tsp of corn starch, and gently mix until well combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions and shape into meatballs.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick pan. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, pan-fry the meatballs until golden brown. Flip meatballs and brown other side. Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- In a bowl, combine chicken stock, remaining ¼ tsp of ground white pepper, 1 tsp of light soy sauce, 1 ½ tsp of corn starch and 1 tsp of minced garlic. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 1 tsp of cooking oil over medium heat. Add bok choy and thick stem parts of the napa cabbage. Season with ¼ tsp of salt and cook for 3 minutes. Arrange meatballs in the pot in a single layer, pour the chicken broth mixture in, and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak glass noodles in warm water until softened. Drain well and set aside.
- Stir glass noodles and leafy parts of the napa cabbage into the pot. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Dish out to a large serving bowl, garnish with green part of spring onion and serve.