Ingredients: (serves 2)
115g ground beef
115g ground pork
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp vegetarian oyster sauce
¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
50g brown button mushroom (sliced)
6 shallots (sliced)
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 beef stock cube
½ tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sake
3 cups cooked rice
2 sunny side up fried egg
1 tbsp chopped parsley
- In a mixing bowl, add in ground beef, ground pork, finely chopped onion, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce and coarsely ground black pepper. Knead to combine, divide into 4 equal portions and shape into patties.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium low heat with 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the sliced shallot until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drained on paper towel to absorb the excessive oil.
- Use the remaining shallot oil to pan-fry the patties until golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Leave 1 tsp of shallot oil in the skillet, saute the sliced brown button mushroom until turn soft.
- Push the mushrooms to the sides of the pan and melt the unsalted butter in the centre along with the all-purpose flour. Fry the roux until medium brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in water, beef stock cube, light soy sauce and sake.
- Once the mixture is smooth and free of lumps, put it back to the stove and bring to a boil, cooking until the gravy is thick and nice.
- To serve:
- Place a bed of rice on a serving platter, top with 2 pieces of beef patties and then sprinkle on ¼ portion of the fried shallots. Drizzle ½ portion of the mushroom gravy on top, sprinkle another ¼ portion of the fried shallots, top with a sunny side up fried egg and garnish with ½ tbsp of chopped parsley.