385g extra firm tofu (cubed)
200g prawns (shelled and deveined)
1 big onion (sliced)
½ cup chilli paste
½ cup water mixed with 1 tsp of tamarind paste (discard the seeds)
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 big onion
2 candle nuts
1 tsp toasted belacan
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Pan-fry the extra firm tofu until golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute the chilli paste until fragrant.
- Add in blended ingredients, continue to saute until oil separates.
- Pour in tamarind juice, stir to combine.
- Add in sliced big onion, prawns, pan-fried tofu and seasonings. Stir to combine and continue to simmer until prawns are cooked and the tofu absorb some of the sauce.
- Dish out and serve with rice.