Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.koreanbapsang.com
450g large shrimp (shelled & deveined with the tail intact)
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
1/3 cup potato starch
5 dried chillies (roughly cut)
5 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
1-inch young ginger (shredded)
1 spring onion (finely chopped)
¼ medium onion (finely diced)
1 red chilli (seeded and finely diced)
1 green chilli (seeded and finely diced)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp water
½ tbsp extra virgin sesame oil
- Clean the shrimp, drain, and pat dry with paper towel. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let it sit until ready to coat with the batter.
- In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients except extra virgin sesame oil, well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the potato starch and egg to the bowl with the shrimp. Mix everything well by hand until there’s no visible starch powder and the shrimp is evenly coated with the batter.
- Add adequate cooking oil to the deep fryer over high heat. Using chopsticks to drop the shrimp in the oil one at a time, in two batches. Cook until lightly golden, about a minute.
- Remove them quickly with a slotted spoon. Drain on a mesh strainer set on a bowl. Reheat the oil between the batches and for the second frying.
- Add the shrimp and briefly deep fry again until lightly golden. Drain on a mesh strainer.
- In a large skillet, add the dried chillies and 2 tbsp of deep-frying oil over low heat. Saute until the dried chillies become fragrant.
- Turn on the heat to high. Add the garlic, ginger, onion, and spring onion, and stir-fry briefly until fragrant. Stir in the red and green chillies and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the sauce and boil for a couple of minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Drop the shrimp into the pan, and quickly stir everything together with the sauce is almost absorb. Drizzle the extra virgin sesame oil, and toss everything together again.
- Serve immediately.