700g skinless but bone-in chicken drumstick
390g potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
210g carrot (peeled and cut into chunks)
2 medium onion (peeled and quartered)
1 bottle x 350ml soju (reserved ¼ cup to be added later)
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cups water
1-inch young ginger
1 clove garlic
¼ cup light soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1/3 tsp ground black pepper
1 ½ tbsp extra virgin sesame oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1 stalk spring onion (sliced diagonally)
- Use a food processor to blend all the marinade ingredients until well combined.
- Marinate the chicken drumstick with the marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat up a pot with 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Add in marinated chicken drumstick. Cook until lightly brown on all sides.
- Add in the remaining marinade, potatoes, carrot, onion, water and soju. Bring to a boil. Covered and turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 40 minutes until all ingredients are cooked to tender.
- Season with salt and ground white pepper.
- Turn off heat.
- Add in the remaining ¼ cup of soju and stir to combine.
- Dish out and garnish with sliced spring onion.
- Serve hot with rice or noodles.