Tested Recipe Adapted from www.beyondkimchee.com
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup sweet rice flour
¾ cup corn meal
7g instant yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cup warm milk
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup light brown sugar
4 tbsp finely chopped peanuts
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Adequate cooking oil for pan-frying
- In a large mixing bowl whisk flours, yeast, caster sugar, and salt together.
- Add the canola oil to the warm milk and add to the flour mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Deflate the dough and let it rise again for a second time for another 20 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine light brown sugar, peanuts and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Heat generous amount of cooking oil in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Tear a chunk off the dough and flatten it on your palm. Place 2 tbsp of brown sugar mixture on the centre of the dough. Bring all the corners of the dough to the centre to seal the dough by pinching them together and turn into a ball shape.
- Drop the dough into the oil in a skillet, gently press down with a greased hotteok press or spatula.
- Fry the one side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Carefully turn the hotteok to the other side and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove the hotteok from the oil and drain the extra oil over a cookie rack.
- Serve the hotteok immediately while hot.