Ingredients: (3 servings)
600g fresh udon noodles
10 dried anchovies (cleaned)
3 dried shiitake mushrooms
4×4-inch dried kelp
1 onion (sliced)
10 cups water
Meat & seafood:
100g pork belly (thinly sliced)
10 shrimps (peeled and deveined)
10 clams (cleaned)
3 medium squids (cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces)
1-inch young ginger (shredded)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
4 stalk spring onion (sectioned)
100g cabbage (cut into strips)
½ carrot (cut into strips)
3 tbsp gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp extra virgin sesame oil
4 tbsp cooking oil (divided)
- Make stock:
- Pour 10 cups of water into a pot. Add the dried anchovies, dried kelp, onion and dried shiitake mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil and continue to simmer over high heat for 20 minutes. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- Strain the stock. Sliced the shiitake mushroom. Set aside.
- Mix the gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes) with 2 tbsp of cooking oil and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the chopped garlic and shredded young ginger until fragrant.
- Add in thinly sliced pork belly, saute until fragrant.
- Add in spring onion, cabbage and carrot, lightly sautéed.
- Add in the hot pepper flakes mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add in 6 cups of stock and sliced shiitake mushroom. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in clams, follow by shrimps and squid. Bring everything to a boil again and cook until the shells have opened.
- Season with light soy sauce, fish sauce, salt, ground black pepper and extra virgin sesame oil.
- Place a serving of noodles in a large soup bowl and ladle the piping hot soup on top. Serve.