Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.maangchi.com
1.2 kg clams
150g radish (cut into half lengthwise and thinly sliced)
1 onion (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
5 dried anchovies (guts and heads removed)
1 green chilli (sliced diagonally)
1 spring onion (chopped)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 tsp extra virgin sesame oil
- Scrub the clams in cold water and rinse a few times until clean.
- Place the clams in a container, cover with water and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Strain the clams and rinse and drain in cold water a couple of times. Strain again.
- Put the radish, onion, garlic and dried anchovies in a shallow pan. Add 3 cups of water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat until the radish looks a little translucent and the broth looks slightly amber in colour.
- Take out the anchovies with tongs.
- Add the clams and cover. Cook until all the clams start opening.
- Open the lid and move opened clams to the top of the soup, and unopened to the bottom so that unopened clams get cooked in the hot broth. Ladle some broth from bottom to top to keep everything well season.
- When all the clams are opened, season with ground black pepper, salt and extra virgin sesame oil.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped spring onion and sliced green chilli.