220g unsalted butter (soften at room temperature)
210g caster sugar (divided)
3 tbsp full cream milk
100g sugee (semolina) flour
3 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
80g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
120g ground almonds
50g almond nibs (finely chopped)
- Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium low heat. Dry fry the sugee (semolina) flour until lightly golden. Remove and leave to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add in soften unsalted butter and 100g of caster sugar. Using an electric mixer to beat until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in full cream milk and sugee (semolina) flour. Beat till combined. Let the mixture stand for an hour to allow the semolina to absorb the moisture.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Line the bottom and side of an 8-inch square cake tin with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a mixer until frothy.
- Add the remaining 110g of caster sugar gradually and beat until pale-coloured.
- Add in pure vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, add in cake flour, baking powder, salt, ground almond and chopped almond. Mix well.
- Add half of the egg mixture to the butter mixture. Fold gently until almost combined. Then add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and fold. Add the remaining egg mixture and flour mixture alternately. Fold until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and smoothen the surface with a spatula.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.