Ingredients: (makes 20 pieces)
5 slices white sandwich bread
150g ground pork
2 cilantro roots (chopped)
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp white peppercorns
1 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
2 tsp corn starch
20 cilantro leaves
¼ red chili (seeded and juliennes)
1 egg (beaten)
Adequate cooking oil for deep frying
½ cup quartered and sliced cucumber
1 shallot (sliced)
½ red chili (seeded and juliennes)
½ cup white vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar
A pinch of salt
- For the cucumber relish:
- In a small pot, heat the sugar, vinegar and salt over medium high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool. Combine the cucumber, shallots, and chilies in a small serving bowl. A few minutes before serving, pour the cooled vinegar over the vegetables.
- For the pork toast:
- Cut off the crust from the bread and cut each slice into 4 pieces.
- Make the pork mixture: In a mortar and pestle, pound together cilantro roots, garlic, and white peppercorns into a fine paste. Add the ground pork, light soy sauce, sugar and corn starch and mix well.
- Spread the pork mixture evenly across the top surface of each square of bread. Place 1 cilantro leaf and 1 red chili julienne on top of each piece and press down lightly to secure it in place.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for deep frying.
- Place the bowl of beaten egg next to the stove. One at a time, dip a square of bread, pork side down, into the eggs (the side without the pork should not be coated with the eggs) and quickly drop it into the hot oil, pork side down. Once the pork side is golden brown, flip the bread pieces over and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Remove and drained on paper towel to absorb the excessive oil.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the cucumber relish.