1kg hor fun (flat noodles)
2.5 liter water
1 no free range chicken (cleaned)
500g prawns (shelled and deveined, reserved the prawn heads & shells)
¼ cup soy bean
1 tbsp cooking oil
200g bean sprouts (cleaned)
50g kuchai (sectioned)
2 tbsp rock sugar
1 tbsp salt
¼ cup fried shallot
- Heat up a skillet with 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the prawn heads and shells until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Add 2.5 liter of water into a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken, prawn heads and shells and soy bean. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and leave to cool a bit before debone and shred into pieces.
- Discard the prawn heads and shells and soy bean.
- Bring some water to a boil. Quick blanch the bean sprouts and kuchai separately. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Quick blanch the hor fun, remove and divide into individual serving bowls.
- Bring the soup into a boil. Season with rock sugar and salt.
- Add in prawns, cook for 1 minute.
- Ladle piping hot soup into individual serving bowls. Top with bean sprouts, prawns, shredded chicken, kuchai and fried shallots.
- Serve immediately.