Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Madam Choong’s Noodle Secrets
600g yellow noodles (scalded for ½ minute)
300g water spinach (blanched)
300g bean sprouts (blanched)
4 eggs (hard-boiled, shell and cut into half)
Some fried shallot (for garnishing)
Prawn Soup A:
600g medium-sized prawn
6 cups water
50g dried shrimps
1 tbsp cooking oil
Prawn Soup B:
6 cups water
½ tbsp white peppercorns (crushed)
400g spare ribs (washed)
250g pork belly (washed)
Chili Paste: (blended except shallot)
25g dried chili (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, seeded and finely cut)
70g garlic (peeled)
10g toasted belacan
150g shallot (peeled and sliced)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp rock sugar
2 tsp salt
- Prepare dried shrimp powder:
- Soak dried shrimps in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a non-stick skillet. Sauté dried shrimps over low heat till fragrant and crispy.
- Grind into powder when cooled.
- Prawn soup A:
- Remove prawn heads, tails and shells, wash and drain. Keep the heads, tails and shells for later use. Smash prawn heads lightly to enhance their flavors.
- Heat up a little oil in a wok, sauté prawn heads, tails and shells for about 5 minutes. Pour in 6 cups of water and dried shrimp powder. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low heat and simmer for about 40 minutes. Discard prawn heads, tails and shells.
- Chili paste:
- Heat up oil in a wok, sauté shallot slices over low heat till golden brown and crispy. Dish up ½ portion for garnishing and leave the rest in wok. Add in blended chili paste, stir-fry till shallot crisps are tender and aromatic. Add in seasonings A, stir evenly. Leave about 1 tbsp of chili paste in wok and transfer the others into a bowl. Set aside.
- Add in prawns, mix evenly and stir-fry till cooked. Dish up and set aside.
- Prawn soup B:
- Combine 6 cups of water and crushed peppercorns in a pot, bring to a boil. Add in remaining spare ribs and pork belly. Simmer till pork belly cooked. Remove pork belly and leave aside to cool. Cut pork belly into thin slices. Set aside.
- Combine prawn soup A and sautéed chili paste with prawn soup B, stir evenly and bring to a boil again. Reduce to low heat and simmer till spare ribs are tender. Remove spare ribs and add in seasonings B, mix well.
- To assemble:
- Place adequate noodles, bean sprouts and water spinach in serving bowls, arrange spare ribs, sliced pork belly, prawns and egg on top. Pour the hot prawn soup over, sprinkle with fried shallot. Serve.