400g salted butter (soften at room temperature)
228g caster sugar
11 egg yolks
2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp baking powder
64g all-purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
128g ground almond
6 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
- Pan-fry semolina on low heat until light brown. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Add semolina and soften salted butter into a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until light and creamy. Cover the bowl and set aside for 4 hours.
- Add caster sugar and egg yolks into a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until sugar dissolved.
- Add the semolina mixture into egg yolk mixture in three batches and beat until well combined.
- Add in vanilla extract, beat until well combined.
- In a bowl, combine the baking powder, all-purpose flour, salt and ground almond.
- Add the almond flour mixture in three batches to the semolina egg yolk mixture and beat until combined.
- In another mixing bowl, add in egg whites and cream of tartar. Use a wire whisk attachment to beat until stiff peak.
- Fold the meringue into the semolina mixture in batches until well combined.
- Fully line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Carefully pour the batter into the square pan and smooth the top.
- Bake at 180C for 1 hour or toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool completely before slicing.